Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
• Undertaking and managing the day to day operations of the team in respect of the team workload and utilisation in close cooperation with the Operations Director and other Team Leaders within the Geotechnics, GIS and Data Management Business.
• Oversee and agreed scope of work for the operational workload of the team, ensuring work is allocated appropriately and resources are fully utilised.
• Participate in the business planning process.
• Undertake line management responsibilities.
• Manage the performance of team members identifying and ensuring the resolution of any issues.
• Identify staffing requirements and take an active role in the recruitment of new staff in order to develop the local team.
• Undertake own continuing professional development and lead in the development of others.
• Operate in accordance with the corporate health and safety, environment and quality standards.
• Promote SHE good practice within the team.
• Ensuring that effective financial and project management controls are in place and deployed to enable monitoring, modification and forecasting as appropriate.
• Provide technical leadership.
• Develop effective working relationships with both internal and external clients and so building and retaining relationships of trust with our clients, colleagues and business partners
• Proactively managing selected projects or components of projects, taking responsibility for resource allocation, managing subcontractors and sub-consultants, quality assurance, health & safety and client feedback and ensuring effective communication with all involved parties
• Managing the production of analysis and design and ensuring compliance in the components of the project for which you have responsibility, including drawings, reports, specifications and studies
• Identifying opportunities and driving implementation of innovative strategies to maximise the technical value and profitability of design deliverables
• Gaining a good understanding of the background of the client’s business and industry to facilitate building effective and enduring relationships and consolidating both company and personal credibility in the industry
• Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the client to keep informed of all developments associated with the project
• Providing direction to the discipline team, leading by example to achieve Sector/ Discipline goals and championing a quality, innovative, client-focused and entrepreneurial culture
To be considered for a role we are seeking candidates with the following credentials:
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
MEng in Civil Engineering with a Geotechnical bias, or
BSc in Geology with an MSc in Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology bias, or
BSc in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology.
Chartership (ICE, IOM3, or GeolSoc) is required
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision and provide direction to junior staff with excellent communication and motivational skills.
• Proven experience on large multi-disciplinary projects preferably in the UK.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to fulfil responsibilities of client liaison and mentoring junior staff.
• Strong numerical and design skills and significant experience in the analysis of a wide range of geotechnical problems, including:
• Experience in implementation of Eurocode 7.
• Detailed geotechnical design experience including shallow and deep foundations, retaining walls and slope stability assessments.
• Experience in earthworks design, specification and implementation
• Experience in ground investigation design and implementation
• Experience in the use of routine geotechnical design programs such as PDISP, WALLAP, Repute, Slope/W.
• Working knowledge of Highways England and Network Rail Standards.
• Good people management skills with an ability to influence staff and clients particularly regarding technical issues.
• Can demonstrate a high level of knowledge and experience with regards commercial aspects of projects, including bidding and project management.
• Flexible to travel in UK and working away from base office when required.