Health & Safety Manager: Rail (UK Wide)
Our client is one of the leading global natural and built asset design and consultancies. Their talented, passionate people offer a unique combination of capabilities covering the whole asset life cycle and combine deep market sector insights, together with integration of health, safety and sustainability, to deliver solutions across the globe.
They are currently seeking a senior level Health and Safety Manager with specific rail industry expertise to work across the whole of their UK business. This role can be based at one of a number of UK offices and will support the Rail Team with on-going design & delivery projects within the Infrastructure sector. This is a significant opportunity to influence and upgrade the client’s Health and Safety culture, processes and procedures.
Major objectives for the role:
- Proactive and visible leadership for Health, Safety and Wellbeing for all staff in UK Rail Sector.
- Promote continuous improvement in Safety Culture and Safety Stewardship in Rail Sector.
- Provide expert safety advice and to Business Directors, Project Managers and Rail Leadership.
- Drive full awareness and compliance with the client’s six fundamental H&S Principles.
- Coordinate effective and controlled safety communication to all parties.
- Evaluate, develop, lead and report progress on a Rail Safety Strategy, Annual plan/SHEQ Objectives and Quarterly sprints; Increase health and safety maturity; Achieve a step change in identification of hazards and management of risks during design and project delivery (Deliver-to-Results phase).
- Achieve or better UK SHEQ Objectives in Rail Sector; Advise leadership on requisite priorities and activities.
- Coordinate development of Annual Rail Specific SHEQ objectives, based on safety data trends, deliver and track with Rail Leadership team.
- Own, deploy, embed (with Business Leaders) business process and capability development related to Common Safety Method principles, Safe by Design, CDM compliance and best practice.
- Lead on sharing of safety knowledge, lessons-learned, best practice and training.
- Provide on-site support to drive best practice and be a focal point of contact to support any issues.
- Lead on sustainable sharing of safety knowledge, lessons-learned and training.
- Support external-facing staff (Account Leaders, Sector Leaders, PMs, etc.) improve customer awareness of client’s Health Safety and Wellbeing proposition; both during pre-award development and bid activities, as well as during delivery.
- Manage and ensure continual compliance to PDSW regulations including developing and maintaining rail site competencies to sufficient levels across the organisation.
Further Specific Accountabilities will include:
- Safety Stewardship.
- Collation and interpretation of a Balanced Scorecard H&S information for Rail.
- Incident, accident reporting and investigation.
- Maintaining Rail Management System Materials.
- H&S Training.
- PDSW Management.
- Project Delivery.
This wide ranging role also embraces Membership of client’s UK Safety Steering Group, Supporting the UK SHEQ Management Team, strengthening External Relationships (Client Focus), assisting with Pre-bids (Market-to-Opportunity), supporting Bid/Proposal Preparations (Pursuit-to-Win) and bolstering project Delivery (Deliver-to-Results).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience sought:
- Relevant degree with significant consulting experience.
- Post graduate qualification and/or membership in appropriate professional institution preferred.
- IOSH Member (ideally NEBOSH qualified or willing to work towards the qualification).
- Recognised practitioner in safety discipline with well-established industry networks.
- Proven ability to network, collaborate and influence peer group.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, both internally and externally.
- Knowledge and experience of the roles of ORR, RSSB & RAIB.
This role will have a great deal of responsibility with much opportunity for impact and freedom of initiative. A very competitive salary and benefits package will be provided for the successful candidate.