Senior Legal Officer
Pay rate: £40
Short to long term contract
Monday – Friday
Location – Truro
My client are currently recruiting for a role based in Truro working in the legal department of the local authority. To be responsible and accountable for a personal caseload of high profile and/or complex legal matters within the specialist areas of the Team. The role holder will provide legal advice, which is politically sensitive and high risk. The role is primarily to deal with Section 21A and Community DOLS work although there will be an expectation to assist in other Adult Social Care matters as required.
- To carry out day to day mentoring and guidance for qualified lawyers, non-qualified lawyers and trainees within the Team. This will develop the capacity and capability of Legal Officers, Senior Legal Assistants and Legal Assistants and forms a part of the management of risk in the Council.
- To provide general and specialist legal advice to Client Officers (at all levels) of high quality on issues of varying complexity, within agreed timescales and to proactively support clients in all areas of their work which have a legal dimension. To assist the Council in meeting its overall objectives and to minimise financial, operational and reputational risks.
- To manage and progress, a caseload of straightforward and complex and/or politically sensitive legal work for specified Directorates/Services and external clients. To assist the Council in meeting its overall objectives and to minimise financial, operational and reputational risks.
- To keep relevant stakeholders informed of the progress of the case, taking due regard of Key dates, priorities, deadlines and Service Level Standards etc. This was ensure excellent client care and promote high levels of client satisfaction.
Knowledge and experience.
- Up to date knowledge of local government legislative framework and administrative law.
- High level negotiating, influencing and mediation skills.
- Practical experience of democratic decision making processes.
- Degree level or equivalent qualification and relevant professional qualification and/or membership of a relevant professional body - Solicitor or Barrister or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives with typically in excess of five years relevant post qualification experience; or a person with significant proven practical and theoretical legal experience and expertise on the matters falling within the remit of the Team.
If you are would like more information before applying please call Courtleigh on 0117 917 4560.