Environmental health officer
Pay rate: £19.46
Short term contract
Location: Weston Super Mare
My client are currently recruiting for an Environmental health officer for a role based in Weston Super-mare. They are looking for an officer who is HHSRS certified with significant experience of inspecting properties in the private rented sector and taking the range of enforcement options under the Housing Act 2004. This must include the ability to make sound judgements on the appropriate course of action to take. Inspecting properties and taking the most appropriate formal action under the Housing Act 2004.
- Contribute to relevant policies and strategies within the service area.
- Contribute to assessing the complexity of cases, authorise work/remedial action within specific cases and develop a framework for programmes of work to meet legislative requirements.
- Manage a caseload of technical projects or inspections and undertake enforcement action as necessary.
- Provide information and advice to businesses or individuals as detailed in the programme of work through spot checks to ensure the appropriate action is taken to comply with legislation and technical standards.
- Prepare cases (housing, unauthorised encampments, illegal eviction/harassment and caravans) for enforcement or other legal action within the appropriate timescales.
Knowledge, experience and skills
- Vocational qualification or experience to level 4 or above, relevant to the one or more of the service areas e.g. environmental health, housing or building construction.
- Approved professional qualification relevant to the area of work or extensive practical experience of working within the service area, giving rise to a variety of technical skills and sound understanding of the standards, legal responsibilities, work practices and processes relevant to the role (improving housing conditions in the private rented sector, licensing of HMO and caravans sites, unauthorised encampments and illegal eviction/harassment, agent redress schemes).
- Accredited to inspect dwellings using Housing Health and Safety Rating System together with extensive practical experience of using this method of risk assessment in order to guide less experienced members of the team. To represent the council in the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) if legally challenged.
If you would like more information on this role please call Courtleigh on 0117 917 4560.