Development manager PURPOSE AND OBJECTS OF THE JOB
To lead the development management function in providing a customer focussed and integrated service through the effective management, performance, improvement, motivation and development of staff to meet the statutory and non-statutory responsibilities relating to the management of development, and heritage assets, and the proper, timely and effective use of enforcement powers.
To ensure local and national performance targets are met, and service standards/quality procedures are maintained, reviewed and developed.
- To lead the Development Management Service in providing a professional, efficient and cost effective service that meets all legal and policy requirements, performs above national and corporate performance targets and standards, and is transparent and accessible to customers.
- To assist the Head of Planning in the development and maintenance of effective links with other Council services, partner organisations and external stakeholders to secure the regeneration of the Borough, and in communicating the value added by the Planning Service.
- To apply policy broadly, innovatively and creatively and take the lead role in negotiations on major and complex planning applications and legal agreements with applicants and developers, local communities, other Council services, partner organisations and external agencies.
- To be responsible for the effective leadership and management of staff within the Planning Service, including the development of effective work, performance, development and support programmes for all staff, and the training of staff on new legislation, guidance and procedures across the service.
• Please provide details of your knowledge of legislation, policies, best practice and emerging guidance relating to all aspects of a development management service, including the effective use of enforcement and heritage controls.
• Please provide examples of how you have personally applied planning policies broadly, innovatively and proactively to resolve complex planning issues, including persuading others to a particular view.
• Please give examples of your ability to develop positive working relationships with colleagues, developers, elected Members and local communities.
• Please give details of your ability to lead and manage others, and provide an example where you personally took positive and corrective action to resolve a poor performance issue.
Please apply as soon as possible or all Olivia on 0117 917 4560