To make sure that you don't ruin your own chances by saying the wrong thing in an interview, Fusion People have put together a few tips about the things you MUST AVOID when you are in an interview or conference.
What Not To Say In An Interview...
- One word answers. Avoid just saying yes or no and be sure to extend your response. Replying with one word will show a lack of interest and enthusiasm.
- Avoid being negative. Avoid being negative at all costs. Try and turn a negative situation into a positive one and don’t degrade others because you were unhappy about something in your previous job.
- “I don’t know”. Always, always, always have an answer to everything. If you don’t understand the question, ask the interviewee to say it again. Never respond with I don’t know as it shows that you are uninterested.
- Avoid using the words 'like' and 'um'. Using words such as 'like' and 'um' will not only show a lack of confidence but also an incapability to communicate.
- Your weaknesses. Do not bring up things you can't do as it will put in a negative light. If you were really that bad the interviewer wouldn't have asked you to come in for an interview.
- What does this company do? Becore attending the interview, make sure you research the comapny before so you know exactly what it is they do.
- "My current job or boss is rubbish" An interview is the wrong place to vent about employees in your current job plus it does not give off the best impression and will not make you look good. Try to avoid this as much as possible.
These are just a few pointers that everyone should understand so that they don't reduce their own chance of getting the job. Make these examples something you will always remember.