The theme for World Mental Health Day this year is ‘Make mental health and well-being for all a global priority.’
As we all emerge from the pandemic, no country was ready for the associated mental health crisis and the effect of long COVID. Not only have we had the pandemic to work through, the effect of the war in Ukraine and the rise of cost-of-living have impacted everyone's mental health negatively.
Globally, one in four people will need mental health care in their lives.
WHY WORLD MENTAL HEALTH DAY IS IMPORTANT?
The goal of this dedicated day is to raise awareness of mental health and the effects it has on people globally. We look at identifying the problem, reminding people that they are not alone, and understanding how to get help and where from.
Most people will need some mental health support during their lives and need to know:
- There are many sources of help to support people
- There is a wide range of treatments available
- With the right support, people can live a full life with their mental health condition
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
There are many ways to show your support for World Mental Health Day:
- Join a support group: https://bit.ly/3Ca4ptL
- Do group therapy in the workplace, this can allow you and your co-workers to express themselves in a safe environment
- Practice self-care by making sure you have a regular sleep routine, eating healthy, and getting plenty of exercise.
- Share your story, as it helps those feel like they aren’t alone
TIPS FOR LOOKING AFTER YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
Making sure you look after your mental health is just as important as looking after your physical health. Here are some suggestions that you can try to help manage stress and look after your mind.:
- Spend time outside: Nature can have a calming effect on us. Spend time outdoors, going to a park, visiting a nature reserve, or going to an allotment or garden. Spending time in natural surroundings or with animals is proven to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety and improve your mood.
- Connect with people: By having a good relationship is very important as it helps build up a sense of belonging and self-worth. People provide us with emotional support when we need it, and it allows us to support others too.
- Practice meditation or mindfulness: It’s a great way to find calm and restore. There are lots of ways to include mindfulness in your day — you can take time to focus on your breathing or try out mindfulness colouring.
- Take time to move: Being active is not only great for your physical health and fitness but is a great way to de-stress, increase feel-good hormones and improve your overall health. Try going for a walk, cycling or dancing.
- Have a digital detox: Phones and social media is a common causes of us feeling anxiety and pressure. Taking some time away from technology, whether it's short breaks away from your phone or a day when you don’t touch any technology, can help reduce your stress and worry.
Looking for resources visit: https://bit.ly/3xHSyA6
How to support mental health at work download - https://bit.ly/3C2hIfI